A mountain bike is the one thing you need before you go mountain biking. A mountain bike contains many parts, which will be covered below:
1. - This attaches the crankset to the body of a bike.
2. - This is the cable that connects the to the brake mechanism.
3. - The lever on the handlebar to activate the brakes. The left side is the front brake and the right side is the rear brake.
4. - The circular set of links that transfer power from the ring to the cogs.
5. ring - The toothed rings that attach to the crank to hold the .
6. Crank - The lever that extends from the bottom bracket to the pedal, transferring the power to the .
7. Derailleur - The mechanism for moving the from one cog to another.
8. Down tube - The section of frame that extends downward from the stem to the .
9. Front shock - The shock absorber on the front fork.
10. Handlebar - The horizontal bar attached to the stem with handgrips on the end.
11. Headset - The mechanism in front of the frame that connects the front fork to the stem and handlebars.
12. Hub - The center part of the wheel that the spokes are attached to.
13. Idler pulley - The bottom pulley of the rear derailleur that provides spring tension to keep the tight.
14. Nipple - A threaded receptacle that holds the end of the spoke to the rim.
15. Pedal - The platform to pedal on; attaches to the crank.
16. Rear shock - The shock absorber for the rear tire on dual suspension type bikes.
17. Rim - The metal ring that holds the spokes on the inside and the tire to the outside.
18. - The seat.
19. - Offers support for the seat.
20. Skewer - The metal rod that goes through the hub, attaching the wheel to the dropouts of the frame.
21. Spindle - The free rotating axle that the crank arms attach to; also a part of the .
22. Spokes - The thick wires that join the hub to the rim.
23. Stem - A piece that attaches the handlebar to the steering tube.
24. Wheel hub - The center of the wheel that the spokes are attached to.